Tamiya Aircraft 1/48 Mitsubishi G4M1 Mod 11 Yamamoto Transport Aircraft Kit
This Product Usually Ships In 2-3 Business Days
On the morning of April 18th, two G4M1 transports departed from the Rabaul Airbase to visit frontline units at Balalae, Buin. The first aircraft, No.323, had eleven people on board, including Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto. The second aircraft, No.326, had twelve people on board, including Vice Admiral Matome Ugaki. However, American forces knew of this trip thanks to code deciphering and ambushed the Mitsubishi G4M1 transports with a force of P-38 Lightning fighters. The loss of such a revered commander was at the same time a massive blow to Japanese forces and a morale boost for the Allies.
The Mitsubishi G4M1 Model 11 was officially adapted in 1941 as the successor to the Type 96 bomber. Featuring a long flight range which enabled it to attack enemy fleets from land bases, it went on to serve as the IJN's main land-based bomber in the Solomon Islands in 1942. Most of the G4M1s during the Solomon Island campaign had their outer tail cones removed to provide a better field of fire for the tail-mounted 20mm cannon.
- The tubular form of the G4M1 has been accurately reproduced.
- Realistically reproduced tail cone with outer section removed.
- Cockpit details, including instrument panel, gun sight, floor panel, and bulkhead, feature realistic details.
- Canopy above the left side pilot seat, dorsal turret, and the aircraft's flaps can be depicted in either up or down position.
- In addition to clear canopy parts, pre-painted canopy parts are also conveniently included.
- Kit contains a total of 17 figures: 1 depicting Admiral Yamamoto, 1 observer, 2 pilots, 1 gunner, and 12 mechanics.
- kinds of decals included to depict Admiral Yamamoto's and Vice Admiral Ugaki's transports respectively.