The P-38 Lightning, a WWII U.S. fighter aircraft, is easily identified by its twin booms. It enjoyed its greatest success in the Southwest Pacific theater, but the P-38 was also successfully adapted to several other roles. One role was that of a “pathfinder” designed to lead formation bombing. The P-38 Pathfinder, fitted with a glazed nose containing an H2X radar, led other P-38s loaded with 2000lb bombs. When the Pathfinder released its load (usually a single 2000lb bomb), the rest of the formation did so too.
A spectacular 1/72 scale model of a P-38 Pathfinder containing all the special characteristics of this version of the Lightning. It receives a clear nose thanks to a completely new mold that shows off the radar system installation. Detail is finely rendered, and careful engineering ensures this model aircraft is a breeze to assemble. Modelers will be pleased to clear a path for this P-38 Pathfinder in their collections!
- Newly tooled nose for Pathfinder
- Undercarriage comes with detail
- Left and right propeller blades created from different molds
- Fuselage and booms engraved with fine panel lines
- Photo-etched parts to upgrade details
- Clear canopy and cabin with crisp details
- Cartograf decals offer accurate markings